The UK Regulatory Policy Committee (RPC) has published its opinion on the proposed Data Protection and Digital Information (No. 2) Bill. In its evaluation, the RPC opinion considers the government's updated impact assessment of the amendments as fit-for-purpose. The amendments include the following:
- Extending scientific research exemptions commercial activity
- Reducing record-keeping requirements
- Expanding activities falling under legitimate interests to include direct marketing and information security
- Ensuring businesses can continue to use existing transfer mechanisms
- Clarifying automated decision-making safeguards
The RPC issued an initial fit-for-purpose rating for the impact assessment relating to the original DPDIB introduced in July 2022.
What is this page?
You are reading a summary article on the Privacy Newsfeed, a free resource for DPOs and other professionals with privacy or data protection responsibilities helping them stay informed of industry news all in one place. The information here is a brief snippet relating to a single piece of original content or several articles about a common topic or thread. The main contributor is listed in the top left-hand corner, just beneath the article title.
The Privacy Newsfeed monitors over 300 global publications, of which more than 4,250 summary articles have been posted to the online archive dating back to the beginning of 2020. A weekly roundup is available by email every Friday.