PI survey reveals UK MPs uninformed on facial recognition risks

03/11/2023 | Privacy International

A recent survey conducted by Privacy International (PI) has revealed a concerning lack of knowledge among members of parliament regarding the use of facial recognition technology (FRT) throughout the UK. The survey was conducted by YouGov in June 2023 and included a random sample of 114 MPs from all political parties and devolved nations. The results showed that 70% of MPs were unsure if FRT had been used in their constituency, while 24% incorrectly believed a UK law regulates its use. Furthermore, only 35% of MPs acknowledged the human rights concerns posed by the technology, which leaves 65% who are either unaware or wrong about the threat FRT poses to human rights. Overall, the survey results suggest the UK is lagging behind in its understanding of FRT and that the country is at risk of sleepwalking into mass deployment of the highly invasive technology.

Read Full Story
Biometrics, facial recognition, blog

What is this page?

You are reading a summary article on the Privacy Newsfeed, a free resource for DPOs and other professionals with privacy or data protection responsibilities helping them stay informed of industry news all in one place. The information here is a brief snippet relating to a single piece of original content or several articles about a common topic or thread. The main contributor is listed in the top left-hand corner, just beneath the article title.

The Privacy Newsfeed monitors over 300 global publications, of which more than 4,350 summary articles have been posted to the online archive dating back to the beginning of 2020. A weekly roundup is available by email every Friday.

Freevacy has been shortlisted in the Best Educator category.
The PICCASO Privacy Awards recognise the people making an outstanding contribution to this dynamic and fast-growing sector.