Since 2017, the IAPP has studied annual disclosures by US public companies of the potential risk factors to investors in order to assess personal data processing practices and privacy regulations as a risk, as well as to understand what business harms the organisations faced for getting privacy wrong. The 2021 review from the IAPP has revealed some clear trends despite varying perceptions of privacy and security risks across six different sectors.
This year's top risks include:
- Remote working due to COVID-19
- The unpredictability of cyberthreats and the high potential for ransomware incidents
- Interconnected information systems with business partners and tech vendors
- New and proposed privacy regulations in the US and around the world
- GDPR compliance remains a moving target, especially for personal data transfers from the European Union
Read the full Privacy Risk Study 2021