The UK and EU have agreed upon a 6-month extension period for personal data flows, allowing the necessary time to complete the adequacy process. Here is a quick recap of the key events and details:
4th January 2021:
- IAPP writes about the UK-EU reaching an interim data flow agreement.
30th December 2020:
- DLA Piper released an excellent summary of the data protection implications covering the legal framework, cross-border data flows, and dual regulatory exposure, which are critical for businesses to maintain between the EU and UK.
28th December 2020:
- ICO issues statement following the announcement on the extended period for personal data flows.
- Privacy and Information Security Law blog looking at what the trade deal means for post-Brexit data flows.
24th December 2020:
- The EU Commission and the UK Government announced that they had reached a deal on the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
- Read the full 1246 page agreement Trade Agreement PDF.
- Joint EU-UK Declarations published alongside trade deal includes a commitment to secure an adequacy decision for the UK.
- The UK Government have published a Trade Agreement summary.
21st December 2020:
- ICO issues statement urging UK businesses to prepare to keep data flowing once the transition period has ended.
8th December 2020:
- Politico report EU & UK consider short term data transfer solution.
What is this page?
You are reading a summary article on the Privacy Newsfeed, a free resource for DPOs and other professionals with privacy or data protection responsibilities helping them stay informed of industry news all in one place. The information here is a brief snippet relating to a single piece of original content or several articles about a common topic or thread. The main contributor is listed in the top left-hand corner, just beneath the article title.
The Privacy Newsfeed monitors over 300 global publications, of which more than 2,500 summary articles have been posted to the online archive dating back to the beginning of 2020. A weekly roundup is available by email every Friday.